Even natural water has its problems.
The elements radon, arsenic and uranium all occur naturally in our water, especially in bedrock-drilled wells. And each element carries unique health risks and concerns.
Aqua-Max of Maine can help you identify and address your water's unique combination of elemants and minerals so you never worry about your water again.
Facts about natural contaminants in your water
Radon is a naturally occurring noble gas. It is flavorless, odorless, and colorless. Radon is produced by the natural decay of radioactive elements such as uranium and thorium.
Here are some important facts about radon:
- Exposure to radon gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US. It is the leading cause in non-smokers.
- Radon is not harmful when dissolved in water, but becomes harmful when it is released from the water and inhaled as a gas.
- Radon gas often enters homes through the bedrock and concrete foundations as well as through the water. There are several methods to remove this gas, both before and after it enters the home.
- Radon in water can be treated by activated carbon filters (which need to be replaced) or by aeration systems that release the trapped gas and venting it before it enters the rest of your house's plumbing.
Arsenic is a naturally occurring metal found all over the world. It is primarily found in ground water, particularly deep drilled wells.
Here are some important facts about arsenic:
- Arenic is classified as a group 1 carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
- Drinking water with a high arsenic content can also cause stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other unpleasant side effects.
- The WHO and the EPA have set the safe maximum containment levels of arsenic to 0.01 mg/L (10 ppb).
- Inorganic arsenic is found in two species: Arsenic III and Arsenic V. Mitigation solutions for one species may not be suitable for the other.
- Years ago, arseninc was commonly used as a pesticide and as an agaent in pressure treating wood.
- Arsenic in water can be treated by passing the water through a specially-designed resin medium filter or by using a reverse osmosis filter.
Uranium is a naturally occurring metal found all over the world. It is primarily found as a component in minerals in rocks, soil, and water.
Here are some important facts about uranium:
- While uranium is radioactive, is is not known to be a cause of cancer in humans. However, uranium by-products are a cause for concern.
- Uranium contamination can still have a negative health impact. Uranium poisoning can cause inflammation of the kidneys and cause them not function properly.
- The WHO and the EPA have set the safe maximum containment levels of arsenic to 0.03 mg/L (30 ppb).
- Uranium in your water can be removed by use of a reverse osmosis filter and whole house filtration.
The Aqua-Max Solution
Aqua-Max of Maine is your one-stop-shop for all things water treatment. We are with you every step of the way from initial testing all the way to installation and regular maintenance.
We can help you identify which solution is best for your home and family. You can rest at ease knoweing that your well water is safe and harm-free.
Hague Quality Water International
Hague Quality Water is the longest standing water treatment manufacturer in the United States. Their flagship product, the WaterMax®, is the world’s most comprehensive, most efficient home water treatment system on the market today.
Hellenbrand has been solving water quality problems in the USA for over 50 years. Hellenbrand offers several models to soften water and also provide radon mitigation.
Over 30 years ago, RadonAway produced the first radon-specific ventilation fan. Now they provide multiple solutions for radon mitigation both before and after it enters your home.